September 2, 2008

dad came home







dad came home
he never does during golf season
so i guess something must be wrong
but he smiles
looks happy as ever
his membership at Augusta
was cancelled without warning, he tells me
and he laughs dryly, asks me if I want
to join him for lunch; something must be
really wrong

mom is abroad
in Switzerland i think
she couldn't get a room at the same spa her girlfriends were staying
but she managed to book something a few miles away
just to be there, couldn't afford not to
she texted me before she left; that's the thing
with these overseas pamper parties
you need to play along
you have to be there

my credit card got rejected
when i ordered my klonopin
is everything okay, dad?
he smiled
looking happy as ever
and only now i can see all of his smiles
are in fact the cracks all over the façade
of this sumptuous life of ours

dad came home
and the whole world seems to be falling apart
but we play along
we have to


emily thompson (New York, NY, 1990)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i find it hard to empathise when this is obviously coming from a spoiled rich girl...

Anonymous said...

As one of our readers pointed out recently, we should not assume the lyric subject of a poem is the author himself... but on top of that, we welcome poetry written by poets from all walks of life, so if Emily happened to be, as you say, "a spoiled rich girl", that would have nothing to do with the quality of the piece she submitted and we decided to post. Hence, your comment is totally out of place.

We don't like the use of fallacious ad hominem arguments against our collaborators.

Share, exchange, debate, but always with respect.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

a few years ago my dad had his membership canceled without notice as well when they learned he had involvement in the enron scandal. somebody should do something about this. it is really unfair.

Anonymous said...

My name is Julia Bean and i would like to show you my personal experience with Klonopin.

I am 36 years old. Have been on Effexor for at least 5 months now. My dr put me on 5 to 10mg per night right from the start, I was on it for approximately 4 to 5 months before a friend showed up at my drs appt to tell him what was happening to me. I was sure I was losing my mind and afraid to tell them what was happening. They discontinued my klonopin on the spot and eventually all those symptoms went away it took months!! I don't recall having any withdrawl symptoms but I may have as I had never been on many meds before!

I have experienced some of these side effects-
Periodic Amnesia that increased as time went on, confusion, blurred vision, Muscle Pain, Left Sided numbness and weakness, pneumonia... plus plus plus

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Julia Bean

Peter Missios said...

Dear Emily, I'm interested in translating and publishing your poems. Please contact me: peter.missios@gmail.com
www.tidskriftenstaden.com